Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Postcards from Paris

Why I write

I write because I like to. I like the process of finding the right postcard, I like the feel of the pen on the paper, the pen itself, and the process of forming letters. I don't always like my own handwriting, but I often like what I write and I often find out how I feel by writing spontaneously.

Last month on Facebook I posted an offer to my friends: the first fifty people who sent me their name and postal address would get a postcard from Paris. Thirty-five people signed up, seven of them from Paris! (The rest were from the US - Alabama, California, New Mexico, Oregon, Vermont), from Europe (Belgium, Italy, Spain), the United Kingdom (London), South America (Bolivia), the United Arab Emirates (Dubai) and from India (Kerala and Rajastan) And so I bought souvenir postcards - ten each of five different views of Paris: two types of Sacré-Coeur, an aerial view of Paris, and two kinds of mixed-views showing the most-visited sites such as the Eiffel Tower and the Moulin Rouge. And I bought stamps, the prettier the better, and found that it costs 85 centimes to send a postcard in an envelope to India, for example. Yes - I decided to put the postcards in an envelope, French-style, which is more discreet.

One person asked why I was doing this. I pondered this question, and can only say that even though it sounds silly, I like the feeling I get when I mail a letter.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the French would say, "Merci de vos mots aimables et belle carte postale de Paris! Thank you, for the lovely envelope, French stamp and of course the beautiful postcard of the Sacré-Cœur, in France. Permit me to announce once again, s'il vous plait, that the (Paris) postcard I received from you made it as the 1,000th postcard added to my Postcard Collection.
    I too, am an avid participant when it comes to writing. I find a peaceful sense of contentment when I write in any form. Rather that be in my daily journals, short romance novels or just simply a letter to a long distant friend. I am from the old South/USA. I was always told by my grandparents that there is no better pleasure in hearing one's words via postal service. The smell of sweet parfume laced on an envelope addressed to a secret admirer or the beautiful calligraphy flowing across a page of parched paper. Better yet, the anticipation one receives knowing that, "you've got mail", lol!

    There is no doubt in my mind, why so many in your life appreciate your kind words written on postcards. I can assure you, that your kind gestures, your inspirations and lastly your beautiful postcards will forever be appreciated! Please, continue down this creative path of writing on postcards, sending then around the world and I will always be a loyal fan! Until next time...XoXo Mme Monique

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post must have pre-ceded our "friend"ship. Any chance I can still join in- I ocasionaly use vintage postcards in artworks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your comments, Mme! @joy: my email address is grace.teshima@gmail.com Please do send your name and address!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When will you be sending postcards from Brooklyn???
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be interested to see how this project evolves!

    La Mom
    An American Mom in Paris

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is a wonderful and very generous idea. It's so much fun to get a visual treat in the mail!

    Cynthia
    http://coffeeonthepatio.com
    http://www.cynthiasblog.com

    ReplyDelete